Your devotion to the rights of Armenians and the Armenian nation serves as the enduring foundation of the ANCA’s broad-based defense and active advancement of Armenian legal interests, in courtrooms across the country and in the councils of government at the local, state, national, and international levels.
In support of these aims, we have:
- Advised state legislators and other public policy stakeholders regarding the legal and historical issues related to laws aimed at securing stolen or otherwise withheld assets of Armenian Genocide-era victims.
- Helped facilitate the submission of two amicus briefs, in the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals case concerning unpaid Armenian Genocide-era insurance claims, filed by the states of California, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Nevada, and Rhode Island, and also by leading California state and federal legislative representatives, defending the rights of states to pass laws, referring to the Armenian Genocide.
- Provided legal assistance and support, including an amicus brief, in its successful defense of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts against efforts to mandate the teaching of denial of the Armenian genocide in its public school system.
- Defended Armenian American institutions, both directly and through pro bono legal representation, against legal attacks aimed at obstructing their work on behalf of community interests.
- Educated Armenian Americans and the American legal community about the rights of the Armenian nation under international law, including the Genocide Convention and also other treaties, awards, and agreements undertaken by the United States and the international community.